James K-M is a painter, curator, interface designer and educator. He has been exhibiting paintings, digital prints and interactive art internationally since 1978. Since 2001 he has curated five exhibitions of digital print and is co-founder of the Digitalis Digital Art Society.
In 1994 he created Restless Machines: Noise and Industrial Culture, a CD-ROM tracing the history of noise and industrial music from the Futurists at the beginning of the 20th century to Skinny Puppy in the 1990′s. With his Interactive Paintings created in Director, he was nominated Digital Artist of the Year in 1997 by Bravo TV. In 2003 he published his DVD-ROM Electric Living in Canada which explores digital media language, through interviews with over 90 digital artists and media theorists, both Canadian and international.
Between 1995 and 2005 James K-M taught courses in creative process, media literacy, Macromedia Director, Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro at the Vancouver Film School, the Centre for Digital Imaging and Sound, and at Langara College.
In 2006, he returned to painting full time.
James K-M lives in Vancouver, B.C. and can be contacted at: electric(at)telus(dot)net
James K-M’s work can also be seen at these URLs:
Saatchi & Absolute Arts
- Capilano College, North Vancouver, B.C., Applied Information Technology, Diploma.
- York University, Toronto, Ontario, B.A. (English)
- Three Schools of Art, Toronto, Ontario
- The Emily Carr College of Art, Vancouver, B.C.
- Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia
- The International People’s College, Elsinore, Denmark
- Colouring, The Baron Gallery, Vancouver, B.C.
- Free Rain Mural, 9206 95th Avenue (west wall), Edmonton, Alberta (Unveiled July 19, 2009)
- Cave Paintings, Teck Gallery at Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, B.C. (Catalogue)
- Cave Paintings, Kootenay Gallery of Art, Castlegar, B.C.
- Electric Painting, at Cartographies: The General Assembly on New Media Art, Ex-Centris Complex, Montréal, Québec
- Modern Abstract Paintings, Moon Base Gallery, Vancouver, B.C.
- Main Menus, The ArtVark Gallery Web site, Amsterdam, Holland
- Recent Paintings, The Burnaby Art Gallery, Burnaby, B.C.
- Life Gallery, Toronto, Ontario
- Geo, The Contemporary Art Gallery, Vancouver, B.C.
- Coloured On A Flat, grunt gallery, Vancouver, B.C.
- New Abstraction, Simon Fraser University Gallery, Burnaby, B.C. (Catalogue)
- Paintings/Drawings, Unit/Pitt Gallery, Vancouver, B.C.
- 12 Paintings, Flavio Belli Gallery, Toronto, Ontario
- Paleofuturity, Modern Fuel, Kingston, Ontario
- Group Exhibition of Contemporary Art, Baron Gallery, Vancouver, B.C.
- Los Artistas Magos, Council Of Fine Arts, Camagüey, Cuba (Catalogue)
- M.I.A.D. Venado Tuerto 2006, International Exhibition of Digital Art, Santa Fe, Argentina
- IV 2006, International Conference on Information Visualization London, England http://www.graphicslink.co.uk/
- CGIV 2006, International Conference on Computer Graphics, Image and Visualization, University of Technology, Sydney, Australia, http://www.graphicslink.co.uk/
- Field of Vision: Extremes, Institute for New Media, Frankfurt a.M., Germany
- Digitalis: Patterns: An Exhibition of Digital Print, New Forms Festival, Video In,
Vancouver, B.C. (Curated)
- Digitalis: Ethno Techno: An Exhibition of Digital Print, New Forms Festival, The Electra Building, Vancouver, B.C. (Curated)
- VIDFEST (Vancouver International Digital Festival), Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design, Vancouver, B.C.
- Digitalis: Urban Poetry, The Interurban, Vancouver, B.C. (Curated)
- Digitalis: The Spiritual in Digital Art, Evergreen Cultural Centre Art Gallery, Coquitlam, B.C. (Curated)
- Inter[sec/ac]tion, New Forms Festival, Roundhouse Cultural Centre, Vancouver, B.C.
- Digitalis, Moon Base Gallery, Vancouver, B.C. (Curated)
- Takeover, Ars Electronica 2001, Linz, Austria
- d>art01, City Exhibition Space, Sydney, Australia
- WRO 01, 9th International Media Art Biennale, Wroclaw, Poland
- 8th New York Digital Salon, Circulo de Bellas Artes, Madrid and Gijon, Spain
- 8th New York Digital Salon, Visual Arts Museum, New York, N.Y.
- FILE (Electronic Language International Festival), Museum of Image and of Sound (MIS), São Paulo, Brazil
- The International Festival of New Film, Split, Croatia
- Hack: An Art Exhibit of the Underbelly of New Media , InterAccess / newMedia99, Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Toronto, Ontario
- Small Worlds, Moon Base Gallery, Vancouver, B.C.
- Digital Investigations, Simon Fraser Gallery, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C.
- The International Symposium on Electronic Art (ISEA’95), Montréal, Québec
- Call of the Wild, Walter Phillips Gallery, Banff, Alberta
- Bit.Movie 95, Computer Art Festival, Riccione, Italy
- Digit’95, Tokyo, Japan
- The Other Painting, The Robert McLaughlin Gallery, Oshawa, Ontario
- The Other Painting, Royal Canadian Academy of Arts Gallery, Toronto, Ontario
- Atelier Gallery, Vancouver, B.C.
- Urbanarium, 1740 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, B.C.
- Duende II, Carnegie Centre, Vancouver, B.C.
- Me, Me, Me! A Self Portrait Show, Unit/Pitt Gallery, Vancouver, B.C.
- The October Show, 1078 Hamilton Street, Vancouver, B.C.
- Gambado Gallery, Vancouver, B.C.
- Under Thirty Exhibition, Klee Wyck Art Centre, West Vancouver, B.C.
- Watson, Dave, Artists Seize the Digital Realm in Startling Ways, The Georgia Straight, (November 18, 2004)
- Watson, Dave, Digital Art Show Puts Screen Gems on Walls, The Georgia Straight, (March 18, 2004)
- Watson, Dave, I Really Like Your, Um, Arty Computer Whatsit, The Georgia Straight, (March 6, 2003)
- Watson, Dave, At the Nexus of Digital Art and Technology, The Georgia Straight, (December 13, 2001)
- Watson, Dave, Art and Technology Collide at Electric Living, The Georgia Straight, (May 27,1999)
- Watson, Dave, CD-ROM Traces Art of Noise, The Georgia Straight, (January 7,1999)
- Hume, Christopher, Curator Compiles Cool Abstract Collection, The Globe and Mail, (October 7, 1988), p. E18
- Perry, Art, This is Art I Love to Love, The Province, (May 16, 1988), p.34
- Peck, Robin, Twilight, c Magazine, (September 1988), p. 77
- Wood, Alan, James K-M, Vanguard Magazine, (Summer, 1987), p. 44
- MacWilliam, David, Vanguard Magazine, (September 1983), p. 53
- Panel moderator for Only the Traditionalist Can Be Radical: Digital Print Now; and Popular Culture and the Primal: Getting to a Place That We Can’t See, at the New Forms Festival ’05, the Museum of Anthropology, Vancouver, B.C.
- Panelist for New Lamps for Old: New Painting, Cinema and Print, at the New Forms Festival ’04, the Vancouver Art Gallery, Vancouver, B.C.
2002 – 2004
- Langara College (Electronic Media Design Program) – Assistant Coordinator and instructor for Macromedia Director, Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, the Creative Process I & II, Portfolio Production and Mac OS.